Yoga for Hyperthyroidism
What is Hyperthyroidism
Hyperthyroidism is a condition of the thyroid. The thyroid is a small, butterfly-shaped gland located at the front of your neck. It produces tetraiodothyronine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3), which are two primary hormones that control how your cells use energy. Your thyroid gland regulates your metabolism through the release of these hormones.
Hyperthyroidism occurs when the thyroid makes too much T4, T3, or both. Diagnosis of overactive thyroid and treatment of the underlying cause can relieve symptoms and prevent complications.
What causes hyperthyroidism?
A variety of conditions can cause hyperthyroidism. Graves’ disease, an autoimmune disorder, is the most common cause of hyperthyroidism. It causes antibodies to stimulate the thyroid to secrete too much hormone. Graves’ disease occurs more often in women than in men. It tends to run in families, which suggests a genetic link. You should tell your doctor if your relatives have had the condition.
Other causes of hyperthyroidism include:
- Excess iodine, a key ingredient in T4 and T3.
- Thyroiditis, or inflammation of the thyroid, which causes T4 and T3 to leak out of the gland.
- Tumors of the ovaries or testes.
- Benign tumors of the thyroid or pituitary gland.
- Large amounts of tetraiodothyronine taken through dietary supplements or medication.
Can yoga help your thyroid?
Yoga brings many benefits to your overall health and well-being. It can balance your energy, increase flexibility, and relieve stress. There is a connection between stress and hypothyroidism, but certain yoga poses are thought to balance out thyroids that are either underactive or overactive.
Several studies have shown the positive effect of yoga on improving thyroid function. Keep in mind that these poses cannot cure your thyroid imbalance. Yoga is considered a complementary therapy. It shouldn’t be used as a replacement for any therapies or medications you’re currently undergoing.
Seek out a qualified yoga teacher who can help you put together a customized sequence that will be beneficial to your condition. Check with your doctor before beginning any yoga program.
Yoga for Hyperthyroidism
What is Yoga?
According to Bhagwad Gita Equanimity, Stability, Balance, Harmony, Equipoise is yoga i.e. Samatvam Yoga Ucchyate.
According to Sage Vashistha yoga is the skill to calm down the mind i.e. Manah prasamana upayah yogah.
And according to Great Sage Maharishi Patanjali yoga is the cessation of mental modifications i.e. Yoga is to gain mastery over modifications of Mind.
According to Guruji Shubham Barwala Ji, yoga is the recognition of Mental Modification the moment they arise in our consciousness.
According to Guruji Neeraj Medharthi, Ji Yoga is the state of perfect balance.
Panch Kosha Based Yoga Therapy or Yoga for Hyperthyroidism
Yogic Diet – Yoga for Hyperthyroidism
- Non-iodized salt.
- EAT oats, potatoes, honey, cauliflower, mustard, whole grains, nuts, green leafy vegetables.
- Eat on time. Chew food properly.
- Sattvic home-cooked meals.
- Increase the intake of seasonal fresh fruits and vegetables. Include high-fiber foods such as vegetables, cooked peas and beans (legumes), whole-grain foods, cereals, rice, and fresh fruit in your diet.
- Choose foods that are low in saturated fat and cholesterol.
- Keep the body well hydrated.
- Avoid processed and refined foods.
- Try to avoid nerve stimulants such as tea, coffee, alcohol, dark chocolate.
Asanas – 9 Yoga Poses for Hyperthyroidism
- Plow Pose
- Fish Pose
- Bridge Pose
- Cobra Pose
- Boat Pose
- Upward Bow Pose
Kriyas – Yoga for Hyperthyroidism
- Jala neti/sutra neti
- Vamana dhauti
Pranayama – Yoga for Hyperthyroidism
- Avoid cooling pranayama
- Right nostril breathing – suryabhedana
- Sectional breathing
Manomaya Kosha – Yoga for Hyperthyroidism
- Yoga Nindra
- Emotional Counselling
- Mind Sound Resonance technique (M.S.R.T.)
Vijnanamaya Kosha – Yoga for Hyperthyroidism
- Counseling about the disease, triggering factors, diet.
Anandamaya Kosha – Yoga for Hyperthyroidism
- Karma Yoga, Bhakti Yoga, Spend time with family and loved ones.
Explore this Health Topic to learn more about yoga for Hyperthyroidism, the role of yoga and yoga therapy for various diseases, and where to find more information regarding it.
Read more about Yoga for Hyperthyroidism