Yoga for PCOS
What is PCOS
Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a hormonal disorder common among women of reproductive age. It’s a very common Menstrual Disorder among women. Women with PCOS may have infrequent or prolonged menstrual periods or excess male hormone (androgen) levels. The ovaries may develop numerous small collections of fluid (follicles) and fail to regularly release eggs.
The exact cause of PCOS is unknown. Early diagnosis and treatment along with weight loss may reduce the risk of long-term complications such as type 2 diabetes and heart disease.
Symptoms of PCOS
Signs and symptoms of PCOS often develop around the time of the first menstrual period during puberty. Sometimes PCOS develops later, for example, in response to substantial weight gain. PCOS signs and symptoms are typically more severe if you’re obese.
Signs and symptoms of PCOS vary. A diagnosis of PCOS is made when you experience at least two of these signs:
- Irregular periods – Infrequent, irregular, or prolonged menstrual cycles are the most common sign of PCOS. For example, you might have fewer than nine periods a year, more than 35 days between periods, and abnormally heavy periods.
- Excess androgen – Elevated levels of male hormones may result in physical signs, such as excess facial and body hair (hirsutism), and occasionally severe acne, and male-pattern baldness.
- Polycystic ovaries – Your ovaries might be enlarged and contain follicles that surround the eggs. As a result, the ovaries might fail to function regularly.
Yoga for PCOS
What is Yoga?
According to Bhagwad Gita Equanimity, Stability, Balance, Harmony, Equipoise is yoga i.e. Samatvam Yoga Ucchyate.
According to Sage Vashistha yoga is the skill to calm down the mind i.e. Manah prasamana upayah yogah.
And according to Great Sage Maharishi Patanjali yoga is the cessation of mental modifications i.e. Yoga is to gain mastery over modifications of Mind.
According to Guruji Shubham Barwala Ji, yoga is the recognition of Mental Modification the moment they arise in our consciousness.
According to Guruji Neeraj Medharthi, Ji Yoga is the state of perfect balance.
Role of yoga in PCOS Management
- Reduces weight
- Balances hormones
- Stabilizes mood swings
- Reduces cholesterol
Evidence-based yoga therapy or Yoga for PCOS
At Vedamrita our purpose is to bring the best and scientific research and evidence-based yoga therapy to our beloved readers and our students likewise and thereby increasing the general acceptability of Yoga therapy amidst the field of various treatments available. Below are few research papers we find out related to yoga for PCOS.
Research Papers: –
Regular Mindful Yoga Practice as a Method to Improve Androgen Levels in Women With Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: A Randomized, Controlled Trial
Patel V, Menezes H, Menezes C, Bouwer S, Bostick-Smith CA, Speelman DL. Regular Mindful Yoga Practice as a Method to Improve Androgen Levels in Women With Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: A Randomized, Controlled Trial. J Am Osteopath Assoc. 2020 Apr 14. doi: 10.7556/jaoa.2020.050. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 32285088.
Impact of yoga and exercises on polycystic ovarian syndrome risk among adolescent schoolgirls in South India
Selvaraj V, Vanitha J, Dhanaraj FM, Sekar P, Babu AR. Impact of yoga and exercises on polycystic ovarian syndrome risk among adolescent schoolgirls in South India. Health Sci Rep. 2020 Dec 4;3(4):e212. doi: 10.1002/hsr2.212. PMID: 33305014; PMCID: PMC7717472.
A Systematic Review of the Effects of Exercise on Hormones in Women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
Shele G, Genkil J, Speelman D. A Systematic Review of the Effects of Exercise on Hormones in Women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. J Funct Morphol Kinesiol. 2020 May 31;5(2):35. doi: 10.3390/jfmk5020035. PMID: 33467251; PMCID: PMC7739243.
Effect of a holistic yoga program on anxiety symptoms in adolescent girls with polycystic ovarian syndrome: A randomized control trial
Nidhi R, Padmalatha V, Nagarathna R, Amritanshu R. Effect of holistic yoga program on anxiety symptoms in adolescent girls with polycystic ovarian syndrome: A randomized control trial. Int J Yoga. 2012 Jul;5(2):112-7. doi: 10.4103/0973-6131.98223. PMID: 22869994; PMCID: PMC3410189.
Effect of a yoga program on glucose metabolism and blood lipid levels in adolescent girls with polycystic ovary syndrome
Nidhi R, Padmalatha V, Nagarathna R, Ram A. Effect of a yoga program on glucose metabolism and blood lipid levels in adolescent girls with polycystic ovary syndrome. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2012 Jul;118(1):37-41. doi: 10.1016/j.ijgo.2012.01.027. Epub 2012 Apr 14. PMID: 22507264.
Study to Evaluate the Changes in Polycystic Ovarian Morphology after Naturopathic and Yogic Interventions
Ratnakumari ME, Manavalan N, Sathyanath D, Ayda YR, Reka K. Study to Evaluate the Changes in Polycystic Ovarian Morphology after Naturopathic and Yogic Interventions. Int J Yoga. 2018 May-Aug;11(2):139-147. doi: 10.4103/ijoy.IJOY_62_16. PMID: 29755223; PMCID: PMC5934949.
Panch Kosha Based Yoga Therapy or Yoga for PCOS
Yogic Diet – Yoga for PCOS
- Low calorie – High fiber/protein, low carb, and low-fat diet
- A lot of veggies, salads, fruits, sprouts
- Decrease milk and milk products intake
- Decrease intake of non-vegetarian food
- Lemon + honey + ginger water – helps to burn fat
- Buttermilk is good – after fermentation – it has a lot of anti-cholesterol properties
- Dynamic practices – asana swings
Kriyas – Yoga for PCOS
- Vyaghri kriya (vomiting)
- Vamana dhauti
Pranmaya Kosha – Yoga for PCOS
- Kapalabhati + Bhastrika + Right nostril breathing
- Only for those with Only Obesity
- Surya Anuloma Viloma
- Give pranayama + chanting before diet – to reduce cravings
Manomaya Kosha – Yoga for PCOS
- Yoga Nindra
- Emotional counseling
- Mind Sound Resonance Technique (M.S.R.T.)
Vijnanamaya Kosha – Yoga for PCOS
- Counseling about the disease, triggering factors, diet
Anandamaya Kosha – Yoga for PCOS
- Karma Yoga, Bhakti Yoga, Spend time with family and loved ones.
Explore this Health Topic to learn more about Yoga for PCOS, the role of yoga and yoga therapy for various diseases, and where to find more information regarding it.
Read more about Yoga for PCOS